Sunday, October 30, 2011

TV-Free Toddler - Driveway Paints

Today's TV-Free Activity: Driveway Painting!
Materials: Cornstarch, water, food coloring, muffin tin or other small containers, paint brushes
Age Range: 2 years and up
Time filled: An hour or more if you can take it




Here's a step-by-step or making the paint.  Please ignore the half-empty bottle of wine inthe background.  I swear I wasn't drinking.


Fill each muffin...receptacle?...with a generous scoop of cornstarch.


Pour enough water in each...bin?...to completely cover the cornstarch.  Stir well.  You want it to be watery, not a gooey, thick mixture.  I thought I remembered vaguely from cooking with my mom as a kid that the water should be either hot or cold to make the mixing easier.  However, upon further reflection, this was to make mixing the cornstarch into GRAVY easier.  So I don't think it applies here.


Mix in desired colors.  I think using gel food coloring would make more vibrant colors.



After mixing your non-toxic, fully washable (and even edible...if you're into scarfing on straight cornstarch) paint, head out to the nearest paved surface and have fun!  This stuff is great.  After it dries, you can literally brush it off your clothes.  It paints on like this:


And dries like this:
The colors are really much more vibrant that you see here.  I have a crap-tastic camera.


Can you tell she picked her own outfit today?



No comments:

Post a Comment