Monday, May 14, 2012

Conversations with Lucy: I Had A Accident!

Lucy has been potty trained for about 6 weeks now, and rarely has accidents.  In fact, I can think of three - including naptime accidents.  So I trust her to go and use the potty if she needs to if I have go to get something or other done.

This particular morning, I HAD TO EAT.  I mean, it was desperate.  I am not sure why the morning had gone on so long without me stuffing my ever-gaping maw.  So I went to the kitchen (up a half- flight of stairs and across the hall) to make some eggs.  Just as the eggs hit the frying pan, I hear, "Mama!  I had a accident!"

Crap.

Me (nicest voice possible, even though my stomach lining is now eating itself): That's okay sweetie.  It happens.  Did you pee?

Lucy: No.

Double crap.  I now I think I mean this literally.

Me: What happened?  (Are these eggs cooking more slowly than usual...?)

Silence.

Sigh.

I turn off the stove and go downstairs to assess the damage.  Lucy has an entire TRIPLE ROLL OF TOILET PAPER, unrolled, in her hands.

Ah.  THAT kind of accident.

Me:  Lucy, put it down.  I am going to finish my eggs then I'll come help you clean it up.

I eat my now-cold toast and weirdly cooked eggs and head downstairs.

Me: What happened, Lucy?  I asked you to stop doing this.

Lucy:  What happened?

Me: I don't know, I'm asking you.  What happened?

Lucy: What did happen?

Me: (indicating the drifts of toilet paper) What can we do so this doesn't happen anymore?

Lucy: What?

Me: Do we need to have all the toilet paper torn into little sheets so when you wipe you don't have to unroll it all?

Lucy: I already wiped.

Me:  I know. The next time you use the potty.

Lucy:  I already used the potty.

Me:  I know.  I mean...never mind.  Please don't do this anymore.

Lucy: What happened?

Gr.




To her credit, when I took the paper back to the bathroom (all torn up into individual sheets), there only were two little square of paper in the toilet.

No comments:

Post a Comment